10 Gallon Update

10 2

Here are a few quick shots of how my 10 gallon is currently filling in. Right now it homes some Furcata Rainbows, Corydora habrosus, and otocinclus. The rainbows prefer hard water, while the corydora prefer acidic water, so I plan on making some stocking changes in the near future. For now, I’m keeping the tank around neutral and as stable as possible until I can give these guys more favorable water conditions.


10 3

For some reason this tank has always given me grief with growing plants. I’ve been dosing regularly with Excel when not using a DIY yeast reactor, as well as occasionally adding some Flourish or basic macro nutrients. I cut down on the floaters as I’m not down to a single Marineland light fixture which has rather poor LEDs in it at the moment. My efforts seem to finally be paying off!

10 1

7.13 Gallon Update – “Forest and a Field”


After the water finally cleared, I snapped a few photos to show how everything looked once the dust had settled. So far so good!


I’m hoping that as the plants and mosses fill out, they’re keep a similar feel of a forest of sorts, able to diffuse rays of sunlight through their growth. Some of the shots of this tank with strong light from the side with very little from above were rather breathtaking to see.

After the tank had been running for a few days and tested all clear for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and reasonable pH, I added in a few ghost shrimp and snails to begin developing the ecosystem. The driftwood develops a sludge coating of sorts that the snails loved to munch down on. The shrimp helped keep the detritus to a minimum and helped me gauge how habitable the tank could be for future additions.

 Ghost Shrimp

I chose ghost shrimp because of their low cost and hardiness. I added ramshorn snails to maintain the colony I started for my puffer fish as a food source a few months previous. Some of the ramshorns were so pretty that I couldn’t bring myself to feed them to my puffers…


Overall, the tank is settling in nicely. Can’t wait to see it with more growth!


2.11 Gallon “Lace and Wood” Final Update


While I love how this tank looks. the piece of wood really does take up a great deal of space and impede water flow. While the shrimp living in this tank are quite active and healthy looking, they still haven’t taken to breeding. Thus, I will probably be making some significant changes in the near future that might allow me to begin a shrimp breeding colony in this tank.


Sadly, a large portion of the lace leaf java fern plant became discolored. After some research, I found that such browning of the leaves in java ferns can be caused by nutrient deficiency, or, more commonly, by lack of water flow around the plant’s rhizome (the meaty part at the base of the leaves that isn’t just fine, hairlike roots. Some of my java fern had been weighted down with pebbles or under a piece of wood. Having my filter near the rear of the tank compounded with the anchoring method, created little flow around the rhizome, resulting in browning leaves. I removed the browned portions to a recovery tank, and didn’t have much remaining to weave between the jutting wooden pieces near the front.

I also changed the filter intake to be fully in front of the large piece of wood (though it was pushed back when taking photos here) while the outflow was behind the wood. With less java fern obstructing flow, I’m pretty sure that all of the dead flow areas have finally been removed.


I’ll really miss this tank, but I’m excited to create a whole new world in this tiny little shrimp tank!